Sunday, August 17, 2014

Poetry and Tomatoes

So I haven't posted much in the last several months, but my garden has been growing.  It has been neglected as usual, but I don't think quite as much as some past years, weeds still grow, and things aren't always harvested as quickly as I would like, but in general I have been to my garden fairly regularly and been harvesting things fairly well.  Tonight I picked some kale, yellow beans, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, and one red tomato - more to come soon hopefully.  But in reflection I wrote a special little something for my own soul.  Hopefully it is not too boring.  And so you know, it is only written in phrases to reflect what I was reading and thinking, it makes no claims of poetry, it is merely reflection.



Poetry and Tomatoes 

An odd combination.
but this evening found me reading poetry
lines written by a friend
giving me pleasure and sadness all together
and so - with melancholy 
I sat down to weed

My garden told of much neglect
for here I go and there I run
so little time for here and now
just as the poem said it 

“Life was in a rush, now

there is no hurry - only time”

so as the garden filled with weeds
where was I?
what else went unseen, untouched, undone,
unsaid, unthought, unvisited
here I sit in my garden pulling at the weeds,
picking at the harvest, 
thoughts going beyond the rush
beyond the unseen, untouched, undone
to the unthought, unsaid, unvisited
and yet again to the undone

Yet there it hangs
that one tomato
the one that has left the green behind
and changed to red
not just any red tomato
but a cherished one
one from my special plant 
the one put there for purpose of remembrance 
my Anna Russian

and so those words of poetry drive me to hope
hope to look for beauty
hope to bring someone joy and smiles
hope to leave a mark worth following


poetry 
and 
the red tomato.



an excerpt from Anna Drags-Stick-Behind-He
“Perhaps one will leave a mark
less transient than I, 
a silver thread
for someone else to follow - 
or perhaps just a bit of beauty
to decorate the world
before it melts away
or it is erased by the tide.”

No comments:

Post a Comment