Saturday, March 15, 2014

Spring is Coming!!!!

I must say God has blessed me with many good friends. This morning I got myself in a bit of a predicament when I neglected to pay attention to the dimensions of an item I was bidding on at an auction. My only defense is that I have been listening to the birds sing the last week or two, and have enjoyed a few very nice spring like days intermixed in between the cold days, and the typical freeze/thaw rotation of this time of year.  I have been thinking I should start some seeds and It didn't look as big in the picture on the screen, or at least I didn't think about it, and though the dimensions were listed on the screen, all I was thinking was "oh that's cool". So I bid on a little greenhouse made out of old windows and then bid some more and in the end my bidding was successful and I was excited to claim my prize and take it home.  Yeah….after I had paid and went to look at it where it was sitting outside, I realized it wasn't going to fit in my car, not even with the sunroof open open. (For anyone who remembers when I won a patio table and chairs in a raffle last year, I seem to have had this kind of predicament before, but that time I actually managed to get it home in my car, although slightly cold with some windows and the sunroof open). It did not come apart and measured 49 inches high, 32 inches wide, and 58 inches long, there was no way it would fit.  But I had a number of friends willing to help me out, even if it didn't work out to help me today, thank you much for your willingness. I have to say thank you to Lucy, who I walked passed just as I had decided I would wait till later in the afternoon or tomorrow to get it transported and on a whim said, you didn't happen to drive a truck did you, and alas her husband had, so thank you Jeff.  It was actually kind of funny, as I know Jeff, but basically only as Lucy's husband and my elementary school friend, Julie's father, and when i asked him about his truck he didn't know who I was.  When he dropped it off at my house, he said "Now I know who you are, you have been friends of my daughter for years, when you came up and asked about if I had a truck, I knew I knew you but I couldn't place you."  I also have to say thank you to my neighbor Joe who was willing to come out even though it wouldn't fit in his Acadia, he even offered to get a truck from the shop, good old P. Graham Dunn.  And Todd, for being willing to bring a trailer later in the afternoon/evening to help me out, even though your wife's due date is tomorrow.  And Steve for calling me back to see how you could help out even though you were in Tennessee.  And Marv and Glenda for offering before we realized just how big it was and realized it wouldn't fit in your van.    And yeah, even Mitch though he didn't know about the whole dilemma, but was volunteered by Glenda and Ron as being willing even though you had already left the auction to run some errands.  And of course my mother, who offered to help before remembering that they had already lent that vehicle away for the weekend.  So thank to you to my many friends, and others who I sure would have also been willing, I now have this little greenhouse on my front porch and trying to figure out where it will eventually go (my mother said if I couldn't figure it out, she would keep it at her place).



But for today, I am dreaming of gardening and wondering how soon I can start some seeds and if it is safer to put them in this greenhouse.

2 comments: